Opinions expressed on this blog are my own and do not represent any other organization or affiliation I may have.

Monday 30 September 2013

HOME EC: Egg substitutes....

Now that I am teaching Home Ec  I have started to do a lot of research on tidbits for new Home Ec teachers.

This came in my email from a colleague and I thought this may be useful if ever I am in this situation...




Here are some vegan alternatives that work just as well, if not better than eggs...

What is a good substitute for eggs?
2 tbsp cornstarch = 1 egg
2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg
2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg
1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg.
1 banana = 1 egg in cakes.
1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!

Source: http://homeec414.wikispaces.com/Egg+Substitutes
(Ms. Lightburn is a colleague of mine who is a great resource for Home Ec teachers)

Here is another list of ideas in a handy poster that I found on pintrest:

No comments:

Post a Comment