Opinions expressed on this blog are my own and do not represent any other organization or affiliation I may have.

Sunday 15 April 2012

Bully Movie Review

Today I saw 'Bully' the movie, previously called 'The Bully Project' directed by Lee Hirsch

There had been controversy over the rating (originally rated R) but I am glad they made it PG (in Canada, PG13 in USA I believe) by only removing a couple swear words.

I want to share this movie! I want children to see this movie. I want educators to see this movie. I want parents to see this movie WITH their children... and to talk about it...
Bullying needs to stop! It is killing our children, physically and emotionally.

There are some things to be aware of about this movie. There is talk of suicide. Both 'f' words are used a few times. There is some physical violence, though nothing with blood or graphic. It is very emotional. You will cry.
With that knowledge, I still want to share it with kids! The message is worth it!

This documentary introduces and follows the lives of a handful of families and their experiences with bullying. From the parents who's son commit suicide, to a young girl who was pushed too far and reacted and is now in juvenile detention, the stories are very real and very moving.

What I liked about this movie was the honesty. Parents and kids speaking about the reality of bullying.

I would have liked to have seen the "girls" side of things, but thought the stories shared covered a broad spectrum of circumstances...

A young boy who is socially awkward and desensitized to the severe bullying he endures, the lesbian teen who's parents pull her out of school after repeated harassment, the parents of a teen who commit suicide, the best friend of an 11 year old, yes 11 year old, who killed himself, the young girl who brought a gun on the bus after being bullied and gets put in juvenile determination.

What was hardest for me about this movie was the administration and politics of it. Assistant Principals who do nothing, superintendents who talk the talk but don't act to stop a problem... or worse.. deny there is a problem! I was so angry listening to these people, especially when heartbroken parents came to them for help.

I cried, I laughed, I smiled, I got angry.... the movie was real. I want you to see it!

The end brings many of them together. It sends the message that children need to reach out to that lonely kid who is at risk of being picked on.

So go see this movie.....

No comments:

Post a Comment