Opinions expressed on this blog are my own and do not represent any other organization or affiliation I may have.

Saturday 21 April 2012

High Five Reading Out Loud





I don't remember where I read or heard this idea recently, but last week I tried it out. I was at a Middle School covering various classes for the Grade 8 articulation (When Grade 7 classroom teachers meet with High School Counsellors to discuss students heading to Grade 8 next year)

Anyways, in one of the classes we were reading a Science text book out loud and since I did not know the students names, reading levels and no one was volunteering to read, I decided to try this trick.

I chose one student to read the first paragraph. When they were done they had to high five a classmate who would read the next paragraph and so on and so forth.

What I liked about this was that students were more likely to follow along because they didn't know if they would be chosen (or if it was their friend reading, they knew they might be chosen)

It was nice because I was only there for 30 minutes and didn't know the students well, so this was a fun and different way to choose readers. Most the class had a turn (no repeats allowed) and it got them out of their desk to go high five someone to read next.



No comments:

Post a Comment