Opinions expressed on this blog are my own and do not represent any other organization or affiliation I may have.

Saturday 8 June 2013

End of School Year lay-off's cause anxiety for many teachers



The end of the school year means lay offs for many teachers. The unpredictability of summer employment can be stressful, but even more stressful is the uncertainty of September.

I am in my first year of lay-off and not knowing what September holds does cause some anxiety. Furthermore, the budget concerns in my district mean not all laid-off teachers will be recalled. What I find most troublesome is the fact that some teachers get recalled with days before they start a new school, grade, subject, class....

In most careers, it is the senior, most experienced in the job that take on the most challenging, new, experiences, while the newer teachers are mentored, trained, and as they gain experience in one area (school, subject, grade, etc. for example) they are challenged more....

I don't know what September holds, and I know I am not alone because many are talking about it...

Saw this post recently and thought I would share it:  http://theeducatorsroom.com/2013/05/the-end-of-the-year-means-the-end-of-a-job-for-many-teachers/

No comments:

Post a Comment