Opinions expressed on this blog are my own and do not represent any other organization or affiliation I may have.

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Day of Pink in British Columbia - Anti-bullying day







Tomorrow I will wear pink. To stand up to bullies. To celebrate diversity. To teach acceptance. TO raise awareness. To make a positive change. Tomorrow I will wear pink.



My post last year talked about how I use my experiences being bullied and even bullying as discussion openers with students.

Tomorrow my class, along with dozens in our district will attend "Kindness Rocks" concert at Gleneagle Secondary School. Also (I stole this idea from a teacher friend on facebook) I am going to fill little candy bags in pink tissue paper with a note that says "Some kids are gay, and that's okay"




Day of Pink

February 27, 2013 marks the Day of Pink in British Columbia, and April 10 is the International Day of Pink. It is a day where communities across the province, across the country and across the world can unite to celebrate diversity and raise awareness to stop bullying in all its forms, including homophobic and transphobic bullying.

The International Day of Pink got its start in Nova Scotia when two straight high school students saw a gay student wearing a pink shirt being bullied. The two students intervened, but wanted to do more to prevent homophobic and transphobic bullying. They decided to purchase pink shirts, and a few days later got everyone at school to stand in solidarity by showing up in pink. The result was that an entire school came together to stop homophobic and transphobic bullying.

People wear pink on these days to remember that positive actions make a difference, and each one of us can make positive change to end bullying. Homophobic and transphobic bullying have not always been addressed as widely as other forms of bullying, but change is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment